Have you ever faced a situation where you search for jobs online but the results are not satisfactory? I have lots of people coming in with two basic problems about online job search – 1. The search results are irrelevant, or 2. They find it difficult to get a proper response to the jobs they have applied online.
This article is not just for people falling into these two categories but for anybody who is searching for jobs through online engines. Here are the basic things you need to keep in mind.
– This might sound really simple, but in reality, most people are not clear in this very first step. Be very sure about the job you want to get into, location of work, pay package, responsibilities you can handle, hours of work etc. Also, prioritize your needs. You might not get everything you want in your dream job. You might have to compromise on something. Know what you are ready to compromise on.
– The terms you use to search jobs online are extremely important. Choose the most appropriate terms that encompasses your job requirements effectively. For example, if you are looking for content project online, type ‘Freelance online content’ or ‘content writing online’ rather than ‘writing’ or ‘copy writing’ or ‘journalism’. This would help you narrow down your job search as per your specifications.
– All good job sites and job search engines always ask for basic information when you register with them. Ensure that you are totally honest while filling this in. Although this might not affect the search much, but it definitely will affect you in closing the deal or sustaining that job.
– Ensure that your resume is updated. Also, keep skeleton copies of cover notes, which you can tweak and use the moment you find a good job opportunity.
– Rather than visiting various job search engines, visit a site that incorporates all of them. Choose a site that crawls through various job portals and company websites and encompasses the information on their site. Simplify your job search process by visiting just one reliable portal and save precious time on searching as well as managing your job hunt.
– If you find anything that suits you even remotely, flag it immediately. All good sites have a provision for flagging or adding to the cart. You can later skim through and choose from the various options.
– Always give a contact number where you would be accessible all the time. Give your cell number instead of land line number. Provide an Email address that you would access regularly. In fact, it is wise to create one only for your job search process.
Follow these basic steps and see the change in the quality of your job search results. After all, the job sites are mere search engines and would provide data based on the requirement you fill in. If you fill in the correct job search terms and are absolutely clear of what you’re looking for, nothing can keep you away from your dream job.